Tuesday, October 1, 2013

This Cancer Survivor's Experience with "Affordable Care"

I had a private plan. I paid a lot of money for it. But as a person who has had breast cancer twice, I am grateful I had the coverage.

I received a letter a while back that my carrier was canceling my policy due to the "Affordable Care Act." I was told to go to the New York Health Care Exchange.

I have.

I am not eligible for coverage.
If I can find a new individual plan, the exchange informed me I will be paying twice what I was paying and it will not be for the same coverage I was protected by. What's more, my doctors, the very team that is responsible for saving my life, may not be on the plans I will be permitted to enroll in.

So for everyone out there who thinks that the "Affordable Health Care Act" is good for you: think again. It may be good for a young person with no medical problems who did not have insurance. Although according the Wall Street Journal, it will be very expensive for some, depending on where they live. Read the comprehensive report  at this link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303983904579095731139251304.html

Ask a metastatic breast cancer patient who is on Medicare who has now lost her oncologist because of the "Affordable Health Care Act."

Ask the person who is now being denied life-saving/prolonging chemotherapy because of the "Affordable Health Care Act."

Ask the physician who is scrambling to find a way to treat patients the way they should be treated.

I am not political. I am not a right wing extremist. I am not anything but a person who has a health history a mile long and who has now lost  her health insurance and doctors due to the "Affordable Health Care Act."

Yes. Today is historic. Today is the day that patient centered medical care died. 

Closing the government is not the answer. Fixing the government is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a parent of a cancer survivor, my daughter has experienced the same result and at this moment we do not know where to turn.
I am sick and tired of listening to our president with his usual backdrop of worshipers peddling half truths and yes, lies about his health care plan. I am sure it will help some people but not middle class people such as my daughter.
God Help Us!