Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hero

What defines a hero? To me, it is someone who defies the odds, faces the enemy head on, fights with every fiber of their being, and wins. Look closely at this photograph. General David Petraeus is certainly considered a hero and one heck of a fighter. But I am not talking about him. My hero is Jennifer Griffin. I have had the privilege of getting to know this amazing woman over the last year and her friendship is something I treasure.

She faced down Triple Negative Breast Cancer with a battle plan where defeat was never an option. She stayed focused, positive, determined and lovely. She shared her fight with America and showed thousands of women who have heard they have the "bad" breast cancer that they can absolutely fight and win, but thrive when all the treatments are over.

A couple of months ago she told me that she wouldn't return to work until September. Jennifer, it is August 25th. I had presumed you would ease back into your job at FOX news. I forgot this was Jennifer. Not only did she return to her post early- but her first assignment was Afghanistan, interviewing General Patraeus.  There she was, up there on the TV screen, back doing what she loves. She didn't miss a beat. And she looked stunning.  (Oh, how I have missed seeing her earrings!)

Jennifer, you are my hero. You have given so much hope to so many women across the country who have seen you. Imagine the newly diagnosed woman who just heard yesterday that she has breast cancer, thinking her life is over, as we all do in those first, terrifying days. She turns on the television. And there you are. Chemo: done. Radiation: completed. Surgery: finished. A wonderful life: going strong.

Thank you for sharing your victory with us, Jennifer. If there ever was an embodiment of No Surrender, it is YOU.

xxoo

No comments: