Saturday, March 29, 2008

Soar Sweet Ferne, Soar

Today I said goodbye to a dear friend. Ferne Dixon left this earth on March 22, 2007, less than two years from her diagnosis of breast cancer. She touched my life profoundly. She was my friend, my confidant and my sister. I have never known anyone like her before and will never know anyone like her again.

She was brave in the truest sense of the word. Her strength came from an unwavering faith and her kindness came from a heart that had no room for anything other than things that were positive, loving and productive. She reached out to women all over the world and touched their lives with her gentle way that made you feel truly cared for... because you were. She really did care. And even as she was at the end of her life, she spent more time worrying about how the rest of us were going to handle things.

She had a spark and a sense of humor that made you smile long after you saw her. She had one of the sweetest voices you ever could hear. I think that is one of the things I will really miss the most, I won't ever hear that sweet voice again. I also won't have someone to tell me to "Just chill" the next time I get myself all worked up about things. I feel a sense of loneliness in my heart. I just wish she was here with us longer.

But she believed that when her time came she would accept it because her faith was so strong that she always felt, no matter what happened, God would take care of her. The Quakers believe There is that of God in everyone. I learned that in the Quaker high school I attended. I never saw it come to life until I met Ferne.

Ferne, cancer did not win, nor did death win - because of your faith, you were victorious over both the cancer and death because you passed straight to the kingdom of heaven that you knew was awaiting you and you are now living again walking with God.

Ferne's favorite hymn was sung at her funeral. It is called "I'll Fly Away"
So this is for you, my sweet, gentle and very dear friend.




No comments: