Monday, December 10, 2007

At Last


The untold want, by life and land ne'er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
Walt Whitman

The untold want. A desire to be free, to be myself again. To be able to measure my days in what unfolds before me and not be controlled by outside circumstances. A want of a life and land that was never granted me because I was singled out to take a different road, a road where there is no compass and once on it there seems to be no end.

But there is an end. After nine months I finally reached it. And before me lies all the beauty this world has to offer. I have paid my ticket of admission to be among the living again. And live is what I intend to do.

I know that one day I will be on that dark passage again and I will long for sunlight and the smell of the new moon as it rises in the sky.... but not now. Not yet. Because today I stepped into the sunlight and new moon awaits me. I am not looking back nor will I look any farther than I need to in order to maneuver my vessel towards the open sea.

After nine long months, chemo is over. Finished. Finally completed.

The world is waiting and I hear its call...."Now Voyager, sail thy forth to seek and find...."

I am on my way. At long last.

5 comments:

Jenster said...

I'm so glad, Gina. So very glad.

You amaze me to no end and my life is so much richer because of you. Thank you!

Kelly said...

oh girl...i am SO happy for you!

i know the freedom of which you speak, the longing to be yourself again, to be in control of your own life.

bask in the sun, and the moon...and sail on to better days.

big congratulatory hugs & much love,
~k

No Surrender said...

Jen and Kelly,

Thank you so much.

You know you two held my hand through this entire journey from its start in April.

I am so lucky to have sisters like you!!

love,
g

twink said...

Congratulations Gina... it's such a long haul but the feeling of being done with chemo is a very special feeling.

bjalexandria said...

YAAAA-fricin' hooooo, NS! Gina, you are an inspiration to me. I'm so happy for you, Gina, girl.